Saturday, May 07, 2011

Upgrading a Custom Search Results XSLT from 2007 to 2010

Whilst upgrading a public web site that I had previously created in SharePoint 2007, during testing I noticed this strange number appearing at the end of my upgraded search results page. After the last result I was seeing a number like 68050. This number changed as I performed more searches.
I hadn't touched my custom search results XSLT at all during the upgrade, so I was wondering why this number started appearing. To troubleshoot, I first edited the search results page and changed the XSLT so that I could see the Search Results XML. The XSLT looked like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="">
<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xmp><xsl:copy-of select="*"/></xmp>

This revealed to me 2 new elements right before the end of the </all_results> tag. The extra elements were 'totalresults' and 'numberofresults'.

As SharePoint 2010 now uses Federated Search Locations with custom XSLT allocated to each location, I decided to look to see what the OOB 'Local Search Results' location was doing. Turns out that it now includes a couple of extra XSLT templates:

<xsl:template match="TotalResults">
<xsl:template match="NumberOfResults">

So I added these to extra XSLT templates into my custom XSLT and voila! No more strange number at the end of my search results.


Fresh Burek said...

Cool, this is what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Siri said...

Thank you for the post! It solved my problem.