Thursday, October 25, 2007

Implications of WSS/SPS 2003 sp3

Although most of the time I am working on MOSS related projects, one of my clients still requires my support with SPS 2003. They had rebuilt the environment to be SPS sp2 on Windows Server 2003 service pack 2. If you didn't already know, this combination breaks the 'Create Site' functionality (it hangs on the Add Link to Site section). Anyway, last week I installed WSS/SPS service pack 3, which fortunately fixed this problem. However, today I discovered that the Rich Text Editor within the Content Editor Web Part no longer works. To fix this, you have to modify both ows.js and htmledit.aspx to include an additional JavaScript function called RenderActiveX. This function accepts a string, then just does a document.write(str) with it. Simple fix really, but it should have been tested more thoroughly before it was released.

2 comments:

adeeb said...

Hi Alan

Actually I have applied W2k3 sp3 to my portal, and now I am facing almost the same problem, "breaks the 'Create Site' functionality (it hangs on the Add Link to Site section)", is that mean the the W2k3 has upgrade the WSS to SP3 and therefore I need to upgrade the SPS to sp3.

look forward to hear from you.

Adeeb-from Bahrain

Alan Coulter said...

The Site Creation hanging problem is due to Windows Server 2003 sp2. Obviously sp3 hasn't fixed it either. You will need to apply WSS sp3 and SPS sp3 to fix it. At this point the Rich Text Editor within the Content Editor web part will fail (which is what my blog article addresses). Good Luck. Alan.